Total Pageviews

Monday, October 8, 2012

Best Cheesy Grits EVER

You would think growing up in Virginia that I would have mastered the whole perfect grits thing way before now.  Truth is, I must have been eating some very crappy grits.  My dad liked eating them at breakfast, but they just never tasted like anything to me.  Now I'm thinking that they must have been instant grits.  So I've adopted the philosophy so eloquently stated in that classic movie, My Cousin Vinny - "No self-respecting southerner uses instant grits.  I take pride in my grits!"  So, here you have them:

First, you need really good quality grits.  My favorite is Byrd Mill grits, which are made in Ashland, Virginia.  The problem is that I don't always have a fun time trying to find these grits, but Martins seems to carry them often (I have yet to find them at the local Kroger, and don't get me started on the Sh*tty Kitty).  I'm guessing, too, that Whole Foods probably sells them since they're a local product.  In fact, I'll have to update this after I do a full investigation as to where to find these grits.


The next thing you need to decide on is the cheese.  I'll admit - I'm not a cheese person.  I like my cheese like I like my beer - a little on the wimpy side.  I was afraid to go with just a sharp cheddar, but do like a little bite to the cheese.  I bought this Kraft three cheese blend, which has colby, jack, and cheddar, and a touch of cream cheese (according to the package).  All I know is that it was super creamy and super delicious!

BEST CHEESY GRITS EVER!

1/2 cup White Grits
2 cups Milk*
1 tbs Butter
1 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Cheese
Pepper to taste 
(Total Cook Time - 30 minutes)

*The more whole the milk, the creamer the grits will be. 

 In a saucepan, bring the two cups of milk, salt, and butter to a boil.  Reduce the heat to the lowest setting.  Stir in the grits.  Cover.  Cook for 15 minutes.  Stir the grits until they're not clumping.  Cook for another 15 minutes.  Take off the heat.  Add the cheese (you can always use more cheese if you want) and pepper to taste.  Stir for another minute or two.  Serve immediately.


No comments: