Total Pageviews

Monday, October 15, 2012

Pumpkin Ravioli with Sage Butter and Sausage

Rob and I went to one of our favorite italian restaurants last night, and I ordered a butternut squash ravioli special.  Oh. My. GOODNESS good!  So good, in fact, I decided I'd try to recreate it tonight with a bit of a twist.

First, we start with 1/2 pound of your favorite sausage.  I really wanted a sausage that packed a little heat (and I'm totally aware of how inappropriate that sounds right now), but settled for a fresh Sage sausage and added red pepper flakes.  I sauteed it on medium heat - I didn't really want it to brown, but just cook thoroughly.  Once it was cooked, I drained it in a colander and then let it drain more on paper towels.  As yummy as sausage drippings are, that's not the flavor I was going with for this dish.

Next, find some FRESH pumpkin (or even butternut) ravioli.  In Richmond, we have some good fresh pasta shops, none that were open today.  Whole Foods does have a good selection, though, so I bought the pumpkin ravioli there.  The package for 12 was $5.99 - the package says two servings, but I could only eat 1/2 of mine. Fresh Sage is a must as well.  I used 10 leaves.

Pumpkin Ravioli with Sage Butter and Sausage

1/2 pound of your favorite sausage
Ravioli (serving for two)
1 stick of unsalted butter
10 sage leaves
Pinch of Sea Salt
Parmesan cheese (optional)

  1. Cook the sausage on medium heat until done.  Remove from heat; drain off fat.
  2. Cook Ravioli to package instructions.  Once they are done, drain in a colander but DO NOT rinse.  The starchiness left behind will attract the awesome sauce.
  3. While the ravioli is cooking melt one stick of butter over medium heat.  Once the stick has melted, add the Sage leaves.  Add a pinch of sea salt. Stir butter over medium heat until it's a light to medium golden color.  Take off the heat.
  4. Add the sausage back to the butter mixture.
To plate, place the ravioli on the plate.  Equally split the sausage butter sauce on top of the pasta. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and parmesan cheese to taste.  Serve immediately.

The combination of the infused butter with the sweet pumpkin pasta and the savory sausage is just divine.  






No comments: