Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

How to legally steal a bottle of wine


A few weeks ago, I joined Deb Barlett and Janette Morgan at the Barrel Thief on Patterson Avenue for a wine tasting. Barrel Thief is this GREAT new wine shop that first opened in the Short Pump area. Not only do they have a great selection, they also have a wonderful "snack" menu as well. You can taste whatever wines are being poured for the week. Another thing I noticed is that the prices are GREAT. One of the bottles I reviewed here a while back, Dynamite Cabernet Souv, runs around $18 at the local grocery store (and other wine stores I've been to). They have it for $14. My kind of place!

Deb, Janette, and I tasted a variety of wines, and fell in love with Massena (Barossa Valley) 2006. The wine says "The moonlight run" on the bottle. It was absolutely divine. It also totally played into the theory that the better wines taste the best - this wine was $35 a bottle. As wonderful as it is, I left it in the store (this day, anyway).

One of the "steals of the week" was Garnacha de Fuego, translated to grenache on fire. This Spanish wine is awesome. It is a medium bodied wine that is smooth on the pallet. It can easily be enjoyed by itself. BEST OF ALL, it's only $9!! The "steal" price was $8.50 ... since bringing home the first bottle, I've bought two others. It's a great wine to add to your wine rack and impressive enough to take to dinner parties.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I was going to write a blog about the Dynamite Cabernet Sauvignon! That is one of my FAVORITE Cabs and I recently found out the incredible price at Barrel Thief. So exciting!