Total Pageviews

Friday, April 27, 2012

Kim Chang's Lettuce Wraps

Nothing is better than a good lettuce wrap.  What I love about them (well, one of the things anyway) is that they're actually healthy.  My husband and I tend to eat a bit differently - I watch calorie intake (and depending on what's around, that could be a lot of intake) and he tries to eat low-carb.  This dish fits both of our dietary needs.  I made this recipe and had my adult son over for dinner - we still had enough left over for me to bring lunch the next day.  I've made this with both ground chicken and ground turkey, and the turkey tastes better IMHO.  But, either will work just fine.

Ingredients


·      Olive oil spray
·      2 lbs ground Turkey
·      1 8oz can of water chestnuts
·      1 8oz container of mushrooms
·      ½ chopped large sweet onion
·      Iceburg lettuce
·      Sriracha sauce to taste

Stir fry sauce

·      2.5 tablespoons of soy sauce
·      1 tablespoon of  brown sugar
·      1.5 tablespoon of rice vinegar

Spray Wok or large frying pan with olive oil spray.  Sautee the turkey, making sure the turkey doesn’t clump together, over medium/medium high heat.  Season to taste with salt.

In the meantime, chop the water chestnuts, mushrooms, and onion (I do this in the food processor – this dang thing has saved my LIFE.  If you don’t have one, GET YOU ONE). 

Once the turkey is cooked through, drain and add it back to the pan.   Add the vegetables to the turkey, continue to cook and stir occasionally for about five minutes (or until the veggies look cooked through, and the moisture from the mushrooms has evaporated).

Add the stir fry sauce and mix well.

Add a good squirt of the Sriracha sauce.  Stir well – give it a taste.  Add a little more if you want to kick it up a notch.

Serve with lettuce “cups.”  We like these with just a taste of a peanut sauce.

Because I got busy talking and then eating, I forgot to take a picture of the final plating  - but here's a picture of the leftovers I brought for lunch.  Bon Appetite!




No comments: